Sights Enjoy your stay at our hotel and escape to the sights of Konitsa and the surrounding area.
Stone bridge of Aoos river in Konitsa – 200m from the entrance of the city.The largest one-arched bridge in the Balkans, measuring 19.25 m. height and 36 m. width. The construction began in 1823 and was completed in 1871 by the craftsman Zioga Frontzo and it cost 120,000 Turkish crowns.
Because of the strong winds blowing in the gorge, one bell is placed at the highest point of the bridge and the purpose of which, is to warn passers by not to pass across the bridge.
Hamko’s House – 400 m. from the central square of Konitsa
Hamko’s house is built in the 18th century. His name was taken from Zeinel Bay’s daughter and later mother of Ali Pasha of Ioannina , Hamko, who originated from Konitsa.
Stone bridge of Kleidoniavistas – 300 m after the village of Kleidonia
This bridge is built on the end of the “Vikos - Aoos National Park”. It was built in 1853 by Balik Chanoum of Malik Pasha and cost 37,000 Turkish crowns.
It was named because of the old village called Kleidoniavista, a village that no longer exists. The natural environment of the bridge is characterized by lush vegetation.
St. Nikolaos Church – 400 m. from the central square of Konitsa
Saint Nikolaos church is built in 1842. Most of the icons date back to 1850.
The temple of the St. Nikolaos Church was burned by Caplan Bay on 22 January 1829, and after three years, Joseph “The Metropolitan of Vella & Konitsa” and some rich locals of the area decided to build it again.
Monastery of Molyvdoskepastos - Bourazani area in Konitsa
The old monastery of Molyvdoskepastos is one of the most important and historical Byzantine monuments in the area. It is located just a few meters from the Greek-Albanian border and near the confluence of the Aoos and Voidomatis rivers.
The monastery was built by Emperor Constantine Pogonatos in 670 AD. The monastery took his name from the roof, which was all made of pencil plates. However, due to the needs of the Greek Army in the Greek-Italian war in 1940 for the construction of pencil shrinks, all the slabs of the monastery were removed and replaced by stone slabs. Today few are saved.
Mosque of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent – 200 m. from the stone bridge of Aoos
The mosque was built by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in 1536 AD.
The mosque suffered a lot of damage from abandonment but mainly from the earthquake of 1996. After the care of the Archaeological service, the minaret and the surrounding area of the mosque are preserved to this day.
National Park of Vikos – Aoos Gorge - Region of Konitsa
The area includes 13,000 ect. of land, of which 3,400 are the Park area and 9,600 are protected areas. Since 2010 the “Vikos - Aoos National Park” has been included on the UNESCO Global Geopark list.
It is located between the mountains of Trapezitsa, Smolikas, Tymphi and Mitsikeli and was established in 1973. It is renowned for the "Park with the Big Gorges". Inside the park there are 4 inhabited settlements (Megalo & Mikro Papigo, Monodentri and Vikos) and 6 other villages (Aristi, St. Minas, Vitsa, Kapesovo, Vradeto and Vrisochori) and Konitsa, Kallithea and Kleidonia village.